"The more that you read, the more things you will know. The more that you learn, the more places you'll go." - Dr. Seuss
We believe that it is important to inspire your kids to read from an early age. Reading opens up your kiddo’s imagination allowing them to experience things like fairytale kingdoms and life under the sea. It also teaches them to love learning!
Here are some tips on how to raise your kids to be readers:
- Read to your kids daily! Read to them when they wake up and when they go to bed. This will encourage the habit of reading.
- Set up a library routine. Find your favourite library and take your kiddos there once a week, letting them choose books that they can read during the week.
- Be a reader yourself. Kids learn by seeing what you do.
- Limit TV time and screen time in general. TV dulls their imagination because everything is super visual so reading becomes boring because there is little visual stimulation.
- Make reading a special treat. Allow your kids to stay up late one night a week to read and take the next morning slowly.
- Surround them with books. The more they're exposed to books and reading, the more likely they are to pick up a book.
- Set up a cozy reading area. Make it safe and inviting so that they'll look forward to spending time there.
- Teach them to carry a book everywhere. They'll learn what an amazing boredom buster reading is when they're stuck waiting at the doctor's office or in the bus on the way to school.
- Create a family library. Take them to choose a new book once a month so they can watch their library grow as they grow up.
- Take them to story time at a local library. Let them experience the imaginary worlds that reading creates amongst other kids.
We hope you found this list helpful! We can't wait to see all the little readers grow up to love books as much as we do.